Monday, June 30, 2014

Abortion. My Lose, Lose Situation.


A Lose, Lose Situation....


I have Crohn's, Takayasu's Arteritis, and a few other medical ailments.  Because of this, I am on a host of very strong medications, including Methotrexate, a medication used for many things including autoimmune issues. Methotrexate is also commonly used, in combination with another drug, for abortions, making it extremely important that my husband and I do not get pregnant.  I take all the precautions, but nothing is 100% effective, except abstinence, and in my belief intimacy is a very important part of a marriage.  It should never be the only bonding you do, but it is very difficult, perhaps impossible, to maintain a healthy marriage without it. Should it happen that I do get pregnant the outcome would be the same for the baby no matter what I did. ( * )

If I go off my medications, both the baby and I most likely would die.  If I am on these medications the baby will die.  Either way the result for the unborn baby would be the same.  For individuals like me, an abortion is a medical necessity if I were to ever get pregnant. Luckily, because my husband and I observe many precautions, I have never had to face that decision, but everyday women are facing this challenge, and have only one option since whatever option they choose is essentially a no win situation.

With the recent ruling by the Supreme Court stating that the 35 feet buffer zone can no longer be in place around clinics, when the Supreme Court itself has a much larger buffer zone against protesters outside the Supreme Court, it is clear that many individuals don't understand many of the circumstances. ( * ) The protesters are now allowed to be even closer to the entrances of abortion clinics, screaming at people who are facing the most difficult decision of their life, many people who have no other choice. I believe abortion should never be used as a form of birth control, and honestly believe very few women use it for that.

Regardless of the circumstances, an abortion is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, decision a woman will ever have to make.  She still knows that there is a life inside her, and her decision is affecting that life. That knowledge is a difficult thing to face, and I doubt many women want to ever be confronted with that decision willingly. It becomes clear to me that many individuals like me exist out there, and face this fear every time they are intimate with the person they love.  They know that no matter how safe they are nothing is 100%. They fear that if ever confronted with that situation they may have to face the mob of angry protesters who have never bothered to take into consideration that no other choice may exist, that it may truly be a lose, lose situation for everyone.

(* = Reference or further reading material.)

2 comments:

  1. This post makes me so sad, but you're a strong woman so I know that you'll get through this like you get through everything else. Thankfully due to modern science, there are tons of options for you to have children now, like surrogacy. I am so proud of you for always keeping your chin up and being positive, unlike how many people (including myself) would be in your situation. You will be like a second mother to my daughter and will always be welcome in our home. If we're lucky she might pick up some of your great personality traits. Love you and miss you! -Emily :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I can not wait to get to be the coolest aunt, cousin, second mother, or whatever I may be. I get a lot of my happiness and enjoyment being there for the children in the live of those I love. I miss you too! I can not wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete